Wednesday, March 28, 2012

The Crow

Pin It
When I was younger I was running with a friend and she referred to me as a "Crow." 
I had never noticed it myself, but she quickly picked up on my penchant for seeking out shiny objects (even apparently while on the go).
Like the crow, I wasn't one to feather my nest with these items,
but they definitely caught my eye and drew me in for a closer look.

Today still, I am always looking around for objects with forms and textures that I can re-purpose to use in my home. 



A few months back I started keeping an eye on the shoreline for a sturdy and straight piece of driftwood to replace my stock handrails in my back staircase. I was lucky enough to pick up one small length after the last hurricane, but finding a 12' piece proved to be a greater challenge.

Good things come to those who wait and finally last week on that same jogging route I spotted this...


* Please excuse the pile of scrap lumber from another project


Like any good scavenger, I made a quick mental note of the mile marker and ran straight home to get my car. (I would have attempted running home with it, asking my friends to line up to carry it Viking style, but my running group is too new and I didn't want to frighten anyone off on one of our first days out)

With a few simple tools: skill saw, palm sander and using the existing brackets since they were already securely in the wall studs... I am now the proud owner of not one, but three driftwood handrails.

I love the weathered gray, the sturdiness of the hardened wood and the local character it lends an otherwise utilitarian back hall stairway.


 Before and After...



I'm hoping to pick up a great piece for this large wall at the Brimfield Antique Fair in May! What am I going to do with these circa 1976 baby photos of me and my sister?



Pin It

2 comments: