Monday, March 26, 2012

Welcome!

Pin It


As a child, I watched my father build houses and developed a passion not only for architecture, but for wood. I loved the smell of sawdust and the way he could take a pile of sticks, a few simple tools, and some drawings and quickly turn them into a real home. It seemed so easy and natural, and I wanted to do it, too. My parents teamed up to build homes, and Mom and I would sit at the kitchen table scouring design books and rearranging walls while we dreamed. For a child, having the opportunity to offer an opinion in an adult world not only sparked an interest in home design, but taught me that I too had a say and could contribute to creating my own environment.

Ten years ago, I had the good fortune to move from Boston to Newport, RI.
My husband and I bought a small cape house with a front porch perfect for rockers, a great yard and fantastic neighbors. With very little money, a lot of paint and an abundance of youthful energy, we turned that house into our first home.

Four years and one baby later, we purchased our current home, or what we affectionately refer to as "The Plantation." It has taken almost seven years of trial and error, a lot of hard work, and some creative accounting to take this house from "homeless shelter" to "home", but here is the end result. 

This is what we bought...



And where we are today... (even the skies brightened up when we finished!)





Pin It

2 comments:

  1. You are awesome! I always wish I had your energy and enthusiasm. And you were also a "fantastic neighbor". Love ya, Laura R.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Laura! Russell Mania wouldn't have meant anything without you!

    ReplyDelete