Thursday, May 24, 2012

A Boy's Room

Pin It I can appreciate the value in the easy-to-assemble, mass-manufactured, themed-decor kids' room packages that some companies sell. They allow many parents to update their children's rooms with the latest and greatest trends "in a bag"--but they're just not for me.

I give an exception to companies like The Land of Nod, Garnet Hill, Company Store and Pottery Barn, who do a great job of making quality kids' bedding...but folks, as fun as our PB sheets are, don't our kids deserve a thread count over 200? (Can you say "exfoliate?) Cuteness aside, no matter how many times I click through the PB kids site, I just can't swallow the $300 price tag for a Star Wars quilt set that my boy may grow out of in a year.


This month I'm working on putting together a bedroom for a young boy with an adventurous heart. I want to create a comfortable, safe place where he is inspired to explore the depths of his imagination and dream of the places he will one day go. This little boy inherited his parents' love of travel, and at seven years old, there are no boundaries. We've been collecting globes and maps, and pulling together fun found items. I can't wait to get started painting his dressers! Here are some of my inspirations.

We can't paint or paper the walls, but I think we can achieve the same effect with a collection of maps, globes and atlases throughout the room.


I'm thinking ticking stripes. Definitely traditional, transitional bedding that can grow with him...

Source: google.com via Danielle on Pinterest

I love the subway-style dresser listing the places he'll visit...

Source: amandacarolathome.com via


And I think I've finally found a use for those old ropes I picked up with the hooks on them!














Pin It

2 comments:

  1. I'm in the process of redoing my son's room in the same theme- maps, globes, and travel! Just got a new dresser for him that's practically begging for that Union Jack design! :) Thanks for the inspiration!
    (Found you through Southern Hospitality's Thrifty Treasures party)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathryn! I'm having a blast putting this room together! I just painted the dresser yesterday- it's posted under my "DIY projects." SO much fun and the look on that child's face when he saw it made my day!

      Delete