Friday, June 22, 2012

Navy & Green - The Perfect Pair

Pin It

I have been dying to do a navy and green room for a while now. My children both rejected the idea since they like their current spaces as they are, so I've decided to go for it in our cottage bedroom.  

I love the combo of navy, gold and green, and since this is cottage is a rental, I want something that's fun, but not gender specific. 

Here's where we are today with the room. Last year, my focus was on getting the floors done and painting everything top to bottom. I added pendant lights next to the bed to give me more room on the bedside tables (not pictured) and bought the secondhand bed and dresser from a friend. 

The room is clean, but BORING.


Going back even further, here's where we started last spring:
 ...and where we are today:
 



I'm big on reusing items whenever possible, so I started scouring the house for "new" bedroom furniture. Last year, I bought two of these matching dressers at a local consignment shop. For $60 for the pair, they were too good to pass up. In a small space where every inch needs to count, they can do double duty for clothing storage. In the meantime, this one functions as a space saver in an empty corner of the family room.


I painted them peacock blue simply because that can of paint was open when I brought them home and I wanted to cover the ugly brown wood as quickly as possible.






Then I saw this photo posted by Centsational Girl and a lightbulb went off. Green! They should be bottle green!
























I've been wanting to paint something this exact shade forever, but just hadn't met the right piece. It's not just the green I love, but the combination of a clear, crisp color with brass accents. When I recently rediscovered my old Army buddy, Brasso, it occurred to me that these pieces were going to be perfect!


I'm making the headboard in navy and gold, and after debating for weeks (okay, months) I settled on two fabrics I found on Fabric.com.

One is a simple navy burlap and the second is a preppy geometric print. Both were less than $8/yard, so at that price I can afford to see which one I like best! One will become an upholstered headboard, complete with brass nail head trim, while the other likely will end up roman shades or pillows.


My inspirations:





Stay tuned for "after" pics...coming soon!


Pin It

0 comments:

Post a Comment