Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Starfish & Stripes

Pin It

Last fall, I spotted the remains of a white picket fence in the dumpster while I was working on a project with our local Habitat for Humanity affiliate. We had been building a home for a local family and I thought it would be fun and even a bit sentimental to make the homeowner something with a remnant found on the property. 


I made her a coat rack (seen buried here beneath the kids' jackets) and with the pieces left over I made some fun signs to gift to my friends. 
This one hanging in my laundry room I decided to keep for myself.
With the Fourth of July just around the corner, I decided to use the last fence pickets lying around the shed to put together a seaside version of the flag. Here's my quick and dirty how-do:

Step 1.
Belt-sand the pickets to remove any lose paint and attach them together on the back with two scraps of plywood.

Step 2.
Add a quick wash of aqua paint and some spray varnish.  (I buy this stuff by the case.)
 Step 3.
Add a few starfish and two picture hangers, and voila! Your finished "flag."
Total project time = less than one hour.


*No coastal home is complete without a few sugar starfish.




Pin It

3 comments:

  1. I'm smitten with these wonderful chippy pieces - awesome redo and reuse and just plain ol pretty! gotta love a starfish! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I love chipped paint! (unless it's on my woodwork!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so cute! I pinned it! Thanks for linking up at Well Crafted Wednesdays!

    ReplyDelete