Saturday, July 28, 2012

DIY Pirate Bedroom

Pin It
The idea was to come up with a creative way,  using recycled materials and items already in the house, to turn a small, white bedroom into a room fit for a young pirate.

Since this house is a rental, we couldn't paint the walls. I love to paint and I love color, so not being able to paint was a challenge for me.

The room is in the eaves, so add slanted walls and we had a second obstacle.

I still have a dresser to finish, but we're so close to done now that I can share!





Before

Here is the room as I found it.

Remember the recycled art print? I found this ceramic lamp for a dollar, primed and spray-painted it with a satin black and added a shade the homeowner already had.


I sewed this Jolly Roger flag for the wall, but it was so cute on the bed that it's become a throw.


I picked up this fishing net on vacation just to have on hand, and it works perfectly for stuffed animal storage.


I sewed roman blinds out of some black and white striped fabric picked up on clearance and turned the pattern vertically to add a header, then added red webbing to bring some more color in.

and After...


I've still got a few items on my list to find and refinish:
A rug
Hardware for the chippy dresser (not seen)
Pirate's chest (next on my redo list)




Pin It

4 comments:

  1. I adore this. That little sign is adorable. We just redid my daughter's room on a budget so I hear you on that. I would love for you to share over at Sunny Simple Sundays. http://sunnysimplelife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Came from made in a day - so cute!
    I really like the use of the net as a stuffies holder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. very cute pirate room! Please come share this and link up at our "Home is Where the Heart is" Link party! We'd love to have you! :) Feel free to link up other posts that would be helpful to others as well!
    http://www.homesteadsimple.com/home-is-where-the-heart-is-link-it-up-wednesdays-4/

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so cute and nice idea! You just simple made us to taste as a pirate life in our room. The legs of bed is really unusual. Loved it!

    ReplyDelete